2020 collector and commemorative coins on sale 23 December
As is customary, this year we will be issuing collector and commemorative coins, along with other numismatic products, for 2020. This year, the collector coins will mark the 30th anniversary of the referendum on the Republic of Slovenia’s independence, and the commemorative coins will honour the 500th anniversary of the birth of Adam Bohorič. All this year’s numismatic products are expected to be on sale starting from 23 December at Banka Slovenije counters, at selected branches of Deželna banka Slovenije and at the company Moro & Kunst. In the event of epidemiological conditions not permitting physical in-person sales, the products will be available for sale via the postal service.
Banka Slovenije points out that the commemorative coins are legal tender in all countries of the euro area, at their nominal value, while the collector coins are legal tender only within Slovenia.
The main motif of the collector coins marking the 30th anniversary of the referendum on Slovenia’s independence is a play on the numbers of the referendum date on one side and the inscription ‘Independent State’ (Samostojna država) on the other. The letters and digits are at different levels. The artist behind the work is Tevž Zrinski. The following quantities of collector coins will be available:
- 500 gold coins priced at EUR 420,
- 1,000 silver coins priced at EUR 50,
- 40,000 bimetallic 3 euro coins of ordinary BU quality (in paper rolls) with a nominal value of EUR 3,
- 750 bimetallic 3 euro coins in proof quality, packed separately in plastic capsules, priced at EUR 16.
Figure 1: Collector coin marking the 30th anniversary of the referendum on Slovenia’s independence
The main motif of the commemorative coin marking the 500th anniversary of the birth of Adam Bohorič is a multi-lingual slogan from the title page of Bohorič’s Latin-Slovenian grammar book, Arcticae horulae succisivae (Free Winter Hours). The Slovenian part of the slogan is printed in the Bohorič script, which is recognisable on the coin due to its use of the typical letter ſ. In the background to the Slovenian inscription is the same slogan in Latin, representing Bohorič’s contribution to the international academic world. The artwork for the coin was produced by Lana Semečnik. The following quantities of commemorative coins will be available:
- 990,500 coins of ordinary BU quality (in paper rolls) with a nominal value of EUR 2,
- 2,000 coins in proof quality, packed separately in plastic capsules, priced at EUR 15.
Figure 2: Commemorative coin marking the 500th anniversary of the birth of Adam Bohorič
Banka Slovenije has also made preparations for the issuing of collections of 2020 euro coins including all denominations of circulation coins (from 1 cent to 2 euros) with the date 2020, 2 euro commemorative coins dated 2020 and also 3 euro collector coins dated 2020:
- 7,000 ordinary collections of euro coins priced at EUR 25, and
- 500 collections of euro coins in proof quality priced at EUR 70.
All the 2020 numismatic products will be available from 23 December. Due to the measures tied to limiting the spread of coronavirus infection, sales will be based on contingencies, in observance of all the measures and recommendations of the National Institute of Public Health (NIJZ):
- in-person at Banka Slovenije counters (with modified hours)
- via the postal service for international sales and in-person at selected branches of Deželna banka Slovenije
- via the postal service or using a safe pick-up point at the company Moro & Kunst.
The method of sale for the numismatic products will be adjusted continuously to the epidemiological situation.
For more information on the numismatic products, go to the Banka Slovenije website.